The Mill Quarter Project is the only one of its kind in scenic Central Oregon. Located along the pristine Deschutes River, this site was formerly occupied until the 1980s by mills of the bygone logging industry. With the growth of Bend, this Old Mill District has seen resurgence in mixed use, and the Mill Quarter Project is the capstone.
The project occupies a single city block but includes twenty-five luxury brick town homes and four commercial buildings. Every home has been constructed with the ARXX brand of ICF, resulting in homes made almost entirely of concrete and brick. All the windows, door headers, and wall caps are made of pre-cast concrete. The only organic elements are mantelpieces refinished from the beams of the old logging mill.
Nearly all the homes have separate entrances to a live/work space located a half flight of stairs below street level. This space and aesthetic is the first of its kind in the entire Central Oregon region. Every home sits on its own tax lot and includes a double car garage.
The site posed challenges to development. There is a slight elevation on three sides of the project making brick coursing a challenge. The elevation also created difficulty as the buildings all have a cohesive aesthetic, but some are offset as much as six feet to accommodate for the asymmetry of the city block and the elevation.
The development of the project spanned both a hot and cold real estate market. Regardless, all but two homes have sold prior to their completion and leasing on the commercial spaces is very active.
Project of the Year Winners
See the winning projects in other categories.
Project of the Year Category: Eiteljorg Museum
- Best Institutional Project & Reader's Choice Award Winner: Mainland High School
- Honorable Mention: H&R Block Global Headquarters
- Reader's Choice Award—Honorable Mention: MARSA Inc. Office & Warehouse Building
- Best Commercial Project: Agora Town Center
- Best Fireplace Project: Zirpke Fireplace
- Best High-Rise Project: Harbor's Edge
- Best Historic Restoration Project: Squatters Pub
- Best Landscape Project: East Shore at the Woodlands
- Best LEED Project: St. Louis Community College
- Best Residential Project: Compass Pointe
Didn't get a chance to see all the 2007 entries for the Project of the Year contest? Click here to see them now!