Saint Mary Anne's Episcopal Church was built in 1742. Over 250 years later a restoration of the church, though not the first, revealed a structural problem in the east wall that had simply been plastered over for generations.
Church administrators decided to rebuild the wall in a way that would preserve the building's historical integrity. The restoration crew deconstructed the outside wall from top to bottom and placed each brick into its corresponding position on a pallet so that the wall could later be replicated exactly.
Some of the face brick were beyond reuse but workers were able to replace them with original brick from the interior wall. The interior wall was rebuilt using salvaged brick combined with new handmade brick. Then the exterior wall was reconstructed brick by brick.