The release of the ANSI/NSC 373 Sustainability Standard was clearly the highlight of the Natural Stone Council (NSC) 2014 accomplishment list according to NSC chairman Moe Bohrer, as he addressed a number of stone industry leaders at StonExpo West / Marmomacc Americas 2015 in Las Vegas.
Bohrer commented, “the NSC’s commitment to sustainability goes far beyond producing the ANSI approved standard (a three-year effort), assisting the first company (TexaStone Quarries) to achieve the new standard, and producing tools to educate the design community about the standard.” He announced that Kathy Spanier of Coldspring will be chairing an effort to pursue acceptance of the standard by various sustainability market drivers, such as the USGBC and the Living Building Challenge, in the upcoming months.
Additional 2014 NSC accomplishments included:
- Joining the Construction Industry Safety Coalition (CISC) to insure the natural stone industry’s voice is heard specific to proposed changes to the allowable silica exposure levels by the U.S. Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA).
- Monitoring and keeping member associations informed about a variety of regulatory agencies impacting the stone industry.
- Establishing an associate membership category for stone associations outside of the U.S. to become active with NSC initiatives.
- Assembling a new NSC member association annual dues structure to help provide a more regular base of ongoing financial support.
- Joining together with several stone associations to provide continuing education on the show floor at the American Institute of Architects (AIA) annual convention in Chicago.
While at StonExpo West, the NSC also hosted the 2nd annual Stone Pavilion Block Party which brought together hundreds of natural stone industry professionals on the exhibit floor.
The NSC also elected its 2015 officers: Moe Bohrer, Chairman (Anderson Bros. & Johnson/Michels); Brenda Edwards, Vice Chairperson (TexaStone Quarries); Jim Owens, Secretary (TexaCon Cut Stone); and Jeff Buczkiewicz, Treasurer (Mason Contractors Association of America). In addition to Spanier being named to chair the sustainability committee, other committee chair appointments included: Dan Posthuma (Michels Corporation) for the Environmental Regulatory Compliance Committee, Matt Pruitt (Elberton Granite Association) and Ted Huppert (Grazzini Bros.) as co-chairs of the MSHA/OSHA Regulatory Compliance Committee, and Holly Luehring (Michels Corporation) to the Web-Site Committee.
About the NSC:
The Natural Stone Council (NSC) is a collaboration of trade associations that have joined forces to promote the use of natural stone in commercial, residential, government, institutional, educational and all types of applications interior and exterior. The NSC has published the ANSI/NSC 373 Sustainability Standard, promotes the “Genuine Stone®” brand, and focuses attention on regulatory requirements placed on the stone industry. The members include the Allied Stone Industries, Building Stone Institute, Elberton Granite Association, Indiana Limestone Institute, Marble Institute of America, Mason Contractors Association of America, National Building Granite Quarries Association, National Slate Association, Natural Stone Alliance, New York State Bluestone Association, Northwest Granite Manufacturers Association, and Pennsylvania Bluestone Association. Learn more at www.naturalstonecouncil.org.