Effective January 1, 2016, memberships of the Marble Institute of America (MIA) and the Building Stone Institute (BSI) have been voted on to enter a 2-year joint venture. Both will operate as a consolidated organization.
In a press release, BSI President Rob Barnes of Dee Brown, Inc. said, "This joint venture, with its combined equity, will provide additional value to the industry and its members. MIA+BSI will ensure our continued relevance as we work together to become the world’s premier natural stone association.”
MIA+BSI will focus on the following initiatives:
· Introduction of Dimension Stone Design Manual, Version 8, which includes additions pertaining to restoration and maintenances. Technical committees will be formed to expand references to thin stone and flagstone paving in the manual.
· Addition of safety programs for quarriers (joining the extensive array of current offerings available for fabricators, installers, and stone distributors).
· Launch of a Natural Stone Promotional Campaign.
· Development of industry advocacy groups.
· An expanded legislative outreach program.
To read the full press release, click here.