This article is about Germany's Dual System of Vocational Education in general and about the country's highly standardized masonry training program in particular. Germans who have chosen masonry as their future career are at least 15 years old at the time they begin the three-year training program. They normally have completed elementary school and five years of secondary education. According to one occupational resource guide available in most German libraries and secondary schools, ideal candidates for a masonry apprenticeship are individuals who feel drawn to a physically demanding trade. They enjoy the outdoors and feel a sense of accomplishment when they look at something they helped create. The resource guide points out that prospective apprentices should be hands-on individuals who can remain alert at all times. In German vocational training, the course work takes place in part-time vocational schools that are part of the state-run secondary school system. In these schools, 60% of the teaching concentrates on specialized trade-related instruction. The remaining 40% of the classes are general-education courses, such as German, civics, economics, religious instruction and physical education. Students generally devote the first year to basic studies and the following years to specialization and preparation for the final examination in their specific trades. Apprentices have up to 12 hours of lessons weekly (over one or two days) at a part-time vocational school, together with three or four days of on-the-job training. At the same time that students begin their classroom instruction, they also enter into contracts for vocational training with employers. Normally, apprentices are paid a specific trainee's wage. The Vocational Training Act identifies the main criteria a business must meet in order to qualify as a place of training. It specifies the openings for which trainees can be accepted, the equipment that must be available for training and the number of trainees that may be accommodated. For apprentice masons, the Federal Ministry for Education and Science and state governments prescribe 320 hours of instruction at the part-time vocational school in the first year. In their second year, apprentices begin their specialty work in masonry. They spend 280 hours in classroom instruction at the part-time vocational school. After two years of classroom work and on-the-job training, apprentices are required to take a qualifying examination involving both a skills test and a written test before they proceed to their final year of training. Then after having completed three years of vocational training, masonry apprentices must take a final examination administered by the Chamber for the Crafts and Trades.